Monday, May 11, 2009

The life of a Parrot.

You can tell me what to say.
I will repeat it.
You can teach me to compliment you.
I will do it.
You can teach me to laugh at your jokes.
I will chuckle.
You can teach me to follow you.
It may not be graceful, but I will hop along.
You can teach me to cry.
I will make the noise.
But I won't mean it.
I don't think you are pretty, I don't know how to.
I don't think you are funny, I can't understand you.
I don't know where you are going, I can't see that far.
I am not sad, I've never had happiness to compare it to.

I am a Parrot. I can obey but I can't enjoy you. Not really.

I don't want to be a Parrot.

2 comments:

  1. I am not a parrot. I am comparing the obedience of a parrot to what it should be. It's an Anti-Legalistic poem I guess. If you've read Jon Piper stuff, he uses the parrot as an example of what we as believers should not be...

    ReplyDelete