Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Forgetting

I started reading East of Eden by Steinbeck, honestly, not so excited. I know, I know its a classic. But there is just something about it being my dorky high school English teachers favorite book of all time that turns me off. How could I have anything in common with this middle-aged whack job who, by the way, slammed her head on a desk to make a point about dramatic presentations. So yeah, she's interesting. My attitude was needless to say pretty bad but since I have come to love reading so much more in my adult years, I decided to give it a go.

I am only in chapter 2 but I am already floored by its truth. This guy is giving some history to the place he grew up and while describing the people farming there he says, "And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way."

That is so true of me and as far as I can tell true for most of the people around me. What would we have to complain about otherwise? How quickly do I forget the blessing of a job when its just making coffee? How often do I forget my struggle with loneliness when I am surrounded by new friends? I have so many things to thank God for giving me or even taking away but I am so consumed with what is now, I forget what was.

So my teacher and I have a lot more in common than I expected. And I am a jerk. Actually when I really try to remember her now, I remember she had a great sense of humor and always had passion for what she was teaching.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE YOU BLOGGINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

    I LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

    ReplyDelete