Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sunrise Service

Mount Hermon has a sunrise sermon each Easter where we all trek up the hill to the top where there is a 15 foot cross and a beautiful view of the Santa Cruz Mountains. I usually find myself distracted by a lot of "man-madeness" up there. Whether its the city of Scotts Valley down the hill, the rock quarry, the fence, the water tower, the AT&T tower... whatever it is I usually see it as in the way of seeing God. Danny Wallen shared a perfect lesson for such a person like me. The water tower reminds us of His provision for us. The fence reminds us of the prison we are now free of because of His sacrifice. The AT&T tower reminds us of the open connection we now have with God. As Kit was leading us in worship, we all sang as the sun peaked over the clouds, conspicuous at first, and then beaming over the mountains and valley, the buildings and people. I found myself seeing the city so much differently. His people were down there, His creation. And here He was proclaiming Himself through this magnificent sunrise, proclaiming His might, His beauty, His provisions, His power... and these people below don't see the miracle. They want to stay warm in their beds. They want another hour of sleep. They want a longer break from this fallen world. The sun is their enemy as long as they dread that day that has now arrived. And they don't see Him. As I sat on that hill I was so humbled. The LORD woke me this morning just in time to get up there. The LORD enabled me to climb that hill just in time to be with the body. The LORD provided this hope that each new day brings. I am so blessed to know this Lord and to be supernaturally lead by Him. And as I looked down on that once distracting pile of cement and street lamps and roads, my heart broke. It broke, I think, because His heart breaks as He reveals himself in these wonderous ways, and His people don't even notice. They need Him. I need Him. And He is willing and patient. What an amazing Easter morning. He is Risen. He is Risen indeed!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. i love your writing! may we never stop celebrating easter no matter what time of year! He indeed is risen! :)

    ReplyDelete